my best friend's baby is a year old now, so he's getting a bit too old for the drool size bibs, and he needs more coverage now that he's learning to feed himself!
i'd been thinking about making vinyl bibs for a while, and i finally got around to it in time for christmas.
i digitized all of the designs using PE Design Lite software, and then machine embroidered them. PE Design Lite doesn't have a whole lot of font options (30 or so), so i created files in photoshop with the words, and then digitized them.
this image is from a wingding font, i think it was 80s themed. the design took FOREVER to stitch, well over half an hour, and it stretched the vinyl out quite a bit, even with the stabilizer, which was irritating.
when i gave it to them, the mom said "you'll never know what this is, but i will!" it's true, i didn't even think of that!
it's backed with brightly striped flannelette. i LOVE this vinyl, it's the same stuff i used for the vinyl octopus last winter. it's got great depth to the colour, it's almost pearlescent.
this one was a wingding as well, though i forget which font it was. halloween maybe?
i just wanted a gothier type design!
it's backed in a skull print flannelette that i bought at joanns on halloween for 70% off. they only had about a yard left, not enough for a bigger project.
this one is a sublime stitching pattern that's been digitized, it was one of the samples i posted when i first started playing with the software
it's backed with the same skull flannelette.
this one is backed with a star patterned cotton, because i didn't have a flannelette that matched.
their family celebrates "gothmas" in addition to the christmas that the extended family celebrates (his mom hates the tackiness of christmas), so i HAD to make him a gothmas bib!
i'm really irritated that the "mas" isn't straight, but i wasn't going to restitch all the rest of it (or waste the metallic thread i'd already used!).
the holly is embroidered in metallic thread. i think the silver was coats and clark, and the red was gutermann. i stitched the leaves twice, because the silver thread broke and it was really obvious where i rethreaded it. going over it again covered that up and made the colour a lot more dense.
after i embroidered the writing, i went back and carefully stitched around each letter with the metallic thread to tie it in to the holly better. i think i'm crazy, it took forever!
it's backed with a black cotton that has silver holly printed on it. i didn't like how thin the cotton was on the backing of the glitter vinyl bib, so i added a layer of black flannelette between the vinyl and the cotton on this one.
Oh these are so cool! I love the last couple ones!!! I love making oilcloth bibs!
i can't find a decent selection of oilcloth ANYWHERE here, but i'd love to make some out of it! i should add that to my shopping list for the next time i go to the US!
this vinyl's a bit heavier than oilcloth is, so hopefully they'll hold up well.
Post a Comment