i received this awesome fabric from SewSugarySweet in the December Birthday Swap, and i wasn't sure what i wanted to use it for, but i knew it had to be something cool!
the two prints are part of the same line, so they go together really well, and they're super girly and glittery.
when my friend rachelle started talking about teaching her daughter to do chores, i thought "an apron! that's perfect! she'll love it! she can wear it to make chores more fun!".
this is what i ended up with. i found the pattern in the Winter 2008 issue of Quilts and More. it was fun to follow a pattern, i do that so rarely! sometimes it's nice to just follow instructions!
as you can see, the original uses 4 different fabrics, and has a yoyo flower on the band. the flower's super cute, but not so fitting for the fabric i used! i considered trying to find 2 prints to match the fabric i already had, but i knew i wouldn't be able to find anything that matches as well as the two already did, so i decided to just use the two. i'm glad i did, i love how it turned out!
close up of the ruffles and fabric
i changed the pattern slightly in that i topstitched each layer, and added topstitching instead of hand sewing on the waistband. i did all the topstitching in a pink that matches the pink fabric, though it showed up super light in the photos.
i think it would be super cute worn over a skirt as well, similar to the red velveteen apron in this post on craftster (i ADORE that apron and black ruffled skirt!)